Thursday 23 July 2009

Oh, and another thing...

Something amazing happened to me a couple days back. Via an official Facebook group, I asked a question to one of my heroes, creator of 'The West Wing' - Aaron Sorkin. Within a couple of hours, I got a response! Here's the question and answer:

ME:
Do you ever think twice about writing a piece of dialogue for a character that you've created because of what audiences might feel about you personally? i.e. worry that people might think that Aaron Sorkin might think that, and not separate you from the character you're writing for? Has that ever happened at all in your career, and does it still happen?"


AARON:
Tom,

Truthfully, it happens more than I'd like. I like writing arguments--I like the way they sound--and to do that the characters have to have a strong opinion about something. My thoughts are entirely on the scriptwriting and never--hardly ever--on trying to use one of the characters as a mouthpiece for my own semi-formed opinions.

Thanks for the question.

Aaron


How amazing is that! I honestly believe Sorkin is up there with some of the greatest writers of the last two centuries and he takes the time to answer my question!

No comments:

Post a Comment